Tuesday, April 3, 2007

IKEA alternative

In the search for different cabinet fronts, I found a company out on Pulaski in Chicago, Greenmaker Building Supply. I went in for cabinet fronts, which they will absolutely do. Although I will have to drill the hinges myself (or hire someone to do it). Or Michelle (salesperson) said that her company is introducing a new product line of modular cabinetry, made from sustainable forest and with no off-gassing VOC or formaldehyde in the varnish and cabinets. She said it is brand new, they haven't officially launched the product line yet, but she has been doing sample orders and the pricing is very competitive with IKEA. I like the idea of a greener cabinet, although IKEA is very concious. These cabinets would be maple on the inside and I chose a Alder wood, which Michelle said is common inside furniture, but is becoming very popular and it's more sustainable than old growth and slow growth trees like Walnut. I'll try to get a link to the cabinet makers site, that will show the door style I chose. It is liek a shaker cabinet only with a 6-8" frame instead of a 2" frame. It makes it look very modern. But it's mostly drawers anyway - which will all be flat-front.

Here are the cabinet styles from Michelle:


and here are the alder stain options - I like the nutmeg I think (3rd row, first example) This company has tons of options... I like the idea of being able to get that custom kitchen look without that custom kitchen price!!

1 comment:

Fcholloway1 said...

I like the nutmeg as well.